After jamming with my newly antiquated guitarist friend Scott. Coming back to my dorm, blood pumping from kicking out the jams like a mofo, I had to listen to some music. I recently discovered the grandiose invention of Spotify and as I looked at the main page, I saw Tony Bennett's Duets II album and figured, why not?
A specific memory comes into my mind when I think of Tony Bennett. I was sitting with my grandpa, watching PBS at around 10pm. It was a full Tony Bennett concert. At my young age of around 10-12 I'd never really been exposed to jazz and definitely didn't understand it. My grandpa was a classical music aficionado, but dabbled in jazz. I could see he was fascinated by the programming, as I stared at the screen listening probably more for the fact that I could hang out with my grandpa past my bed time. O how, I wish I could back to that moment and relive it.
Going back to my main point, I clicked on the album and was greeted by a large big jazz band and Tony's stellar smooth voice. Not only is Tony's voice perfect, but he invites some surprising guests to display their talents. Among the many on the 17 track album, a few artists were a surprise. I'd have to say on the first track, Lady Gaga does a stellar job. I'll put this out there, I HATE GAGA's pop career with an undying passion, yet in this shift to jazz she kills it. Personally, I'd have to say Gaga does have talent, you can't ignore it, but why does she have to create overproduced pop music?! I'll rant on this another time.
Other artists I found to be fantastic were Michael Buble, Andrea Bocelli, and Carrie Underwood. I'd write more on these artists and this album, but that's for another time. I'm tired, hungry, and feeling a strange blue nostalgia for a place that I've never been.
Adios.
No comments:
Post a Comment